May is National Walking Month
It is recommended to aim for 10,000 steps every day, but don’t be put off if you start much lower. Tracking your steps can be a useful way to see how active you are. Lots of mobile phones have built in trackers, and there are also a wide range of devices available that can track steps too. Each day aim to do a few more steps than you did the day before, and gradually build up.
Tips For Building Your Steps:
– Walk to work or to the shops instead of driving, whenever possible. If you do have to drive, pick the parking spot that is furthest from the entrance.
– Take the steps instead of the lift.
– Get off the bus one or two stops earlier.- Log progress by keeping an activity diary.
– Join a walking group, or ask supportive friends or family to go for walks with you.
– Each day add in a little more activity.
– Apps such as Couch to 5k can be useful for helping to build activity levels gradually.
– Park Runs provide a free and fun way to increase activity levels.